Wednesday, August 10, 2011

MTV


YIKES!  MTV turned 30 last week.  Jesus freakin H. Christ am I old.

When I was young MTV was THE place to go for music, the iTunes of its day and though I was too young to venture into the bars  I could find all the synthesizers, cowbells and whistles a girl could  handle right there on cable.   Endlessly fascinated by the many gender bending artists, I was constantly on the lookout for any hint of girl/girl, boy/boy love, asking myself "are they or aren't they gay?"  Of course my answer was always yes, even though it was mostly wishful thinking.  A girl can dream can't she?

Here in no particular order are my top 10 "gay" music videos.

10)  Tina Marie -  Lovergirl  

The title is Lovergirl (one word) but what I heard was "I wanna be your lover, girl."  Mmmm hmmmm.  Oh and um.... boobs.

80's Fashion was the Bomb
9)  Duran Duran - Wild Boys                Synthesized cowbell anyone?


Boobs

8)  Taylor Dayne - Tell it to My Heart               

7)  Sylvester - Do You Wanna Funk  
Did I mention how much I love synthesizers, cowbells and whistles?  Almost as much as watching half naked men roller skate around a dance floor.  Someday I'll tell you about the time I almost got run down at the now defunct Traveler's Club. LOVE this song.  It was a big part of my first "gay" picnic, what little of it I can remember. (due to alcohol not age)

6)  Yaz - Don't Go     Big girls. Always liked em.  I promise though no more boobs.
OK so I lied.
5) Michael Sembello - Maniac

Well at least it's not boobs this time

I had it bad for Cynthia Rhodes. You go with your bad self in your leotard, leggings and bandana. I actually have a picture of Sunshine and Happiness from her college days in just such an outfit. Sorry, can not post on pain of death.

4)  The Weather Girls - It's Raining Men   Well...OK!

3)  Anything by George Michael or Wham.

2)  Depeche Mode - Personal Jesus      BEST. BASS LINE.  EVER.  Danced to it every time it was played much to the dismay of whomever I was with and they played  this song A LOT.  (Sorry BP)

1)  Madonna - Holiday    Least played.  Most gay.
Oh and almost forgot.....Boobs!

Happy 30th MTV.  It's all downhill from here.