Friday, July 15, 2011

Fame

Pittsburgh Auditions
According to the American Idol website there are 446 bridges in the City of Champions.  As a lifelong Pittsburgher you can't miss the fact that there are a lot of them but I never bothered to count.  It is a myth though that native Pittsburghers don't cross the rivers although it is true that we prefer our " own side."  As a true Northsider would say "if you ain't from the North Side you're from the wrong side."  It is also true that "once a Pittsburgher, always a Pittsburgher."  Seems lots of Pittsburghers who have relocated to see if the grass is really greener migrate back home to raise their families.

Forward now to my thoughts on/of fame.  Auditions for AI Season 11 are being held here today at Heinz Field.  Registration has been ongoing for the past 2 days and the talented, the weird, the hopeful and the bat shit crazy looking for their 15 minutes began lining up and camping out at around 3:00 AM Wednesday.  Due to the age cutoff none of my crazy friends can try out but some are auditioning for the new Batman movie being filmed here. They'll make great extras.
 In 2006, Jude Law's old flame Sienna Miller referred to us as "Shitsburgh" while filming Michael Chabon's  The Mysteries of Pittsburgh.  Let's see, that movie did what box office?  We may not be sophisticated or rise to her standards but my we are pretty.  And we have the Steelers, Penguins and the Buccos of Suckitude (h/t Pittgirl).  My only gripe is we don't have enough sunshine.  On the days we do though there's no place I'd rather be. 


But back to American Idol, I do have a personal story about this show.  When I was younger I sang and played guitar and friends would say to me, "you really should do something with that, audition for a group, play book stores and coffee shops, put yourself out there." Then they would  say, "'cause, you know, you have potential."  At the time  I was too self conscious and socially backward to ever attempt to play publicly and used this as ammunition to prove I am a failure.  That is until this conversation with Sunshine and Happiness:

Me:  "I have wasted my life."

S&H:  "How so?"

Me:  "I'm a coward and too scared to risk anything.  I should've used my talents.  Everyone  told me I had potential."

S&H: " Hmmmm. (musingly) Potential for what? "

Me:  "Well you know, like my guitar playing and my singing. Friends always told me what a good voice I have and how well I play."

S&H:  "Uh-huh.  Well what?  (Huge smile) You think they were telling you you should try out for American Idol or something?"

Me:  "Um, (sheepishly) well yeah."

S&H:  (With unnecessary eye roll) "Oh, honey, they were just paying you a compliment.  You're not that good."  (hysterical laughter)

Me:   "Are YOU sure?" (harrumphing)

S&H:  "Trust me honey."

Of course I never thought to consider that my friends were just being nice.  I truly am an egomaniac with an inferiority complex.  Although, I suppose I could give the "Pants on the Ground" guy a run for his money.