Sunday, May 1, 2011

Rule #62

Rule 62 is don't take yourself so damn seriously.  I like this rule although throughout my life I have had difficulty following it.  I take things personally, am sensitive in the extreme and suffer from (God I hate this expression but it's true) the "paralysis of analysis."  I think if it were possible I would have wanted to be a philosopher.  Here's a partial definition of philosophy:

  • 1. Love and pursuit of wisdom by intellectual means and moral self-discipline.
  • 2. Investigation of the nature, causes, or principles of reality, knowledge, or values, based on logical reasoning rather than empirical methods.
  • 3. The critical analysis of fundamental assumptions or beliefs.
Of course I would have been a bad philosopher what with the moral self-discipline and logical reasoning part but I do tend to make myself crazy asking the BIG questions.  You know, does God exist?

Why do bad things happen to good people?  What is the meaning of life?  If there is a God why does this God allow suffering?  Have I made a difference?  If a tree falls in a forest and there is no one there to hear it, blah, blah, blah...

You know the thing about searching the universe, at least for me is that it keeps me from having to actually move my ass and take an action.  I can stay all up in my serious head and avoid, procrastinate and still feel as if I am doing something important!  I am a bit lacking in the self-discipline department let alone the moral self discipline department. 

As for the logic piece and my shortcomings, well this story should illustrate it for you.  When my love and I were on vacation we stayed at a villa near Kiawah island and our place was only one back from the ocean. Seabrook Island has tropical weather, hot and humid which is great for the propagation of small lizards.  There were little geckos everywhere and two in particular had made their homes on our front deck.  They hung out on the door frame and patio table and daily I would try and catch them by grabbing at their tails.  One day, this little lizard, who I guess was sick and tired of me snatching at him, stood up on his tiny legs, puffed up his gizzard and I swear roared at me.  I had my back to him because I was opening the door and I hadn't actually seen him make the sound but when I turned around he was still on his hind legs all puffed up and he was the only one there.  He sounded like a dinosaur.  Every so often as I played with the key (still with my back to him) I would hear this prehistoric sound which resonated and hissed.  I told Sunshine and Happiness about it and she just rolled her eyes at me.  (I am prone to hyperbole)

Later that evening we decided to walk the dogs up to the clubhouse pool.  As we were walking I  heard the little gecko again hissing and roaring.  OK so this is the sound that I heard


Look there's a reason they call that sound the ocean's roar.   From a distance it reallly did sound like a dinosaur which I took to be the gecko even though the gecko was only about 7 inches long.  So you can see why there is no way I can take myself too damn seriously.  I have to laugh at myself.  Otherwise I would spend my entire life crying.